On a cold winter day, don’t you agree that there’s nothing better than warm stew?! Try out this easy Lentil Vegetable Stew recipe for lunch or dinner to help warm you and keep you feeling full and energized.
This is a great base recipe that you can keep as is, it’s really simple, and you can modify it to your taste.
I always add in any other colorful veggies that I have on hand. You could try broccoli, sweet potato, cauliflower, carrots, zucchini, mushrooms, frozen peas or green beans.
Let me know how you like it!
Lentil Vegetable Stew
- 1 cup Red lentils (split (dried or 1 can lentils))
- 1 large Yellow onion (chopped)
- 1 medium Orange bell pepper (diced (or other pepper of your choice))
- 3 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp. Ginger root (minced)
- 1 tbsp. Cumin
- 1/4 tsp. Cayenne pepper
- 15 oz. Tomatoes (1 can) (canned, stewed)
- 3/4 cup Frozen yellow corn kernels
- 4 cup Chicken or vegetable broth ((stock, low sodium))
- 1 pinch Sea salt ((to taste))
- 1 cup Kale ((torn and diced))
Rinse the lentils very well until the water runs clear.
Heat oil in a medium pot and sauté onions, pepper, garlic and ginger for 5 minutes until soft. Add a pinch of salt.
Add spices and stir for another minute or so, until fragrant.
Add tomatoes and rinsed lentils, and then add vegetable stock. Stir well.
Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer for about 30 minutes, or until the lentils are soft. During the last 10 minutes, stir in the frozen corn and kale. Cover and continue cooking.
Serve hot with some green onions or parsley on top, a nice side salad or with a slice of hearty bread or whole grain crackers. Enjoy!